Welcome to Bindu.org!
We are constantly collecting readings and resources about the Himalayan Yoga Tradition. Please also visit our other site at hymla.com for current events and blog entries.
The Guru Purnima video was taken in Minneapolis at St. Marion's Church across the street from The Meditation Center. Click link to view: http://dansvideos.s3.amazonaws.com/SVB%20Lectures/GuruPurnima2012.mp4 [Please forgive the technical difficulties that occurred due to equipment failure a few moments into the talk by Swami Veda and the rest of the Swamis at the Ashram.]
Dan & Tom Prideaux, Editors, Publishers, & Videographers [Dan Prideaux is the webmaster of http://www.swamiveda.org and Tom Prideaux is the webmaster of http://www.swamiveda.com ]
Please click here to view your Ahymsin June 2012 Newsletter: http://www.ahymsin.org/docs2/News/1206Jun/index.html
An index of the June Newsletter article:
1. Raising a Spiritual Child by Swami Veda Bharati
2. The Future Force Yoga Youth Conference 2013
3. In the Gurukulam by Maurizio Teodoro
4. Yoga for the Little Ones by Noida Sadhakas
5. Ferry Meditation by Sarah
6. Something Swamiji Said by Roxanne Currie
7. Spring 2012 Korean Tour by Stoma
8. Lithuania 2012 by Stoma
9. One Year Anniversary in Pune
10. Silent Retreat on the Shore with Ma Radha by Lauren Forney
11. God Speaking, Humans Hearing, and a Nice Jewish Boy Meets Rabbi Jesus
12. Poem for Swamiji by Elizabeth Proctor
13. The Art of Joyful Living
14. Tattva Samasa by Swami Nityamuktananda
Our next edition is planned for end of July.
We continue to encourage you to please register in Swami Veda's database at this link:
http://www.ahymsin.org/main/index.php?option=com_civicrm&;view=Profiles&Itemid=175 It will really help us and Swami Veda to keep in contact with you directly.
All who are initiated in any genuine tradition gravitate towards Guru Purnima - the celebration of the Full Moon dedicated to honouring the Guru. It is the Guru's gravity pull towards which we gravitate, for even the word 'great' is derived from the same original verb root from which the word 'Guru' is derived.
The greatness of the Guru is in that he, like a mother, gestates us in the womb of his knowledge. The First Guru, HIranyagarhba, is the Golden Womb of the universe in that all knowledge dwells in that cosmic womb.
When the Guru takes our foetus-like, undeveloped consciousness, and keeps it in the spacious womb of his own consciousness, thereby we become his offspring.
This relationship in the Tradition is the most sacred. We may pay our debt to our physical parents by honouring and serving them. From the Guru, there is no such expectation because the value of knowledge can never be assessed.
The purpose of this knowledge in the spiritual traditions is simply moksha, liberation. Further, the purpose of passing on the knowledge is for the compassion towards all living beings, to liberate them from their suffering, to provide them with a boat to cross the rivers of sorrow.
Every time we recite the 'tryambakam'...mantra, the central prayer in that mantra is a single word
May I be liberated.
This should be our aspiration and longing day and night, muksheeya!
When we have such aspiration, the Guru himself will gravitate towards us and draw us into the field of his gravity pull. He will keep us there until our wish 'muksheeya' has been fulfilled.
At the celebration of this Guru Purnima, I wish to assure you that those who are initiated in our Tradition do remain thus enwombed. May these foetuses grow to full maturity of liberation.
Swami Veda Bharati
Guru Purnima, 3 July 2012
Photo courtesy of Dan Prideaux
One of a series of Contemplations guided at the Meditaiton Center, Minneapolis, USA.
Let me but once still myself. When I am still, will my senses become inoperative? Will my activity all cease? Is that a state, something, to aspire for? Only that stillness, which at present lies occluded, will be experienced and it will become known that stillness is not absence of activity, it is the only source of activity. That, silence is not an absence of speech; Silence is the source of speech. It will be known that non-violence, is not an absence of violent action, it is overflowing love in which there is no other.
Love ceases when love exists. There shall be no more love, for another. There shall be no more love towards an alien. When I have ceased the otherness, I cannot love another. When there is no alien, there is no hate. When love is, love ceases. When love ceases, then love is. If love is between two, the 'two' ceases, so love ceases. God, give me that love, that by its very existence ceases and I fail to say 'I love another'. For, I look around and I find no other. Whom shall I love? Then love becomes my own Self, filled with the Self to the brim.
More than 36 years ago I wrote in one of my books that there are three brands of yoga:
- Hollywood yoga. This is yoga for beauty of face and body for only a youthful look. Spiritual purpose of having a body is completely ignored. Millions of people worldwide are now attracted to this brand of yoga.
- Harvard yoga. This is yoga of intellectual studies undertaken by scholars and scientists ( such as academic translations of Yoga yexts, and medical and scientific papers published about the effects of yoga)
- Himalayan yoga. This is our path. It is the yoga of serenity, self-purification, meditation and final self-realization. It is the yoga of the ancient tradition of the Vedas and Upanishads and of the great Masters.